Wind Ridge, 2013
Daniel LuskO, Rosie
Carpenter Press, 1979
(More on Wikipedia)
Daniel Lusk is author of eight collections of poetry and other books, most recently Every Slow Thing (Kelsay Books 2022) and Farthings (Yavanika Press 2022).
His work has been widely published in literary journals and anthologies, and his genre-bending essay “Bomb” (New Letters) was awarded a Pushcart Prize. Other awards include the Gertrude B. Claytor Memorial Award of the Poetry Society of America, a Pablo Neruda Poetry Award from Nimrod International Journal, as well as grants and literary fellowships from the Vermont Arts Council, Vermont Arts Endowment, the University of Vermont, and Pennsylvania Council on the Arts.
He has been a Resident Fellow at Yaddo and The MacDowell Colony, Visiting Poet at Stranmillis University College-Queens in Belfast, N.I., and The Frost Place, Franconia. N.H., and Visiting Writer at Juniata College, Huntingdon, PA. He has presented readings of his work at the Folger Shakespeare Library, Smithsonian Institution, Renwick Gallery (Washington, D.C.), and many other venues, among them state universities of Missouri, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Montana, Delaware, South Dakota, and Vermont.
Following early careers as a sports writer, jazz singer, and ranch hand, in 1972 Daniel joined the National Endowment for the Arts Poets-in-the-schools Program, teaching workshops for children and teachers in more than 150 schools in South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, and Pennsylvania. From 1978-83 his weekly radio commentaries on books (“Off the Wall”) were syndicated to 160 NPR affiliate stations nationwide, as well as for WADN Walden Radio (Massachusetts) and Pennsylvania Public Radio Network.
Now a Senior Lecturer of English Emeritus at the University of Vermont, he lives in Vermont with his wife, Irish poet Angela Patten.
Selected Readings & Workshops
- Eigse Carlow Arts Festival, County Carlow, Ireland
- Stranmillis University College, Belfast, N.I.
- Folger Shakespeare Library, Washington, D.C.
- Renwick Gallery, The Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.
- The Frost Place, Franconia, NH
- University of Tulsa, Tulsa, OK
- Wexford Art Center, Wexford, Ireland
- Champlain College, Burlington, VT
- University of Vermont, Burlington, VT
- Rider College, Lawrenceville, NJ
- Bucks County Community College, Newtown, PA
- University of Montana, Missoula, MT
- College of Great Falls, Great Falls, MT
- University of Missouri-Columbia
- University of Missouri-Kansas City
- University of Missouri-St. Louis
- Truman State University (formerly NE Mo. State), Kirksville, MO
- University of South Dakota, Vermillion, SD
- South Dakota State University, Brookings, SD
- Augustana College, Sioux Falls, SD
- Dakota Wesleyan University, Mitchell, SD
- Northern State University, Aberdeen, SD
- Mount Marty College, Yankton, SD
- Huron College, Huron, SD
- South Dakota School of Mines, Rapid City, SD
- Juniata College, Huntingdon, PA
- Wilkes College, Wilkes-Barre, PA
- University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire
- Central State University, Edmund, OK
- Plattsburgh State University, Plattsburgh, NY
- Moorhead State University, Moorhead, MN
- Casper College, Casper, WY
- St. Mary’s College, Notre Dame, IN (NEA PITS Conference)
- University of Delaware, Newark, DE
- Hawaii International Arts & Humanities Conference, Honolulu, HI
- Does not include more than 150 libraries, bookshops,
schools and colleges in Vermont and elsewhere.